Data cleaning is a critical step in any assignment or project that involves data collection or analyzing existing datasets. OpenRefine is a free desktop application for working with messy spreadsheet data.
- Discover trends in your data
- Identify and clean up inconsistencies in your data
- Parse and combine your data
- Enrich and reconcile your data with external datasets
- Haverford Digital Scholarship OpenRefine tutorial
- Library Carpentry OpenRefine tutorial
- Seth van Hooland, Ruben Verborgh, and Max De Wilde, “Cleaning Data with OpenRefine,” The Programming Historian 2 (2013), https://doi.org/10.46430/phen0023.
For more information about OpenRefine and its use in the classroom, contact the Digital Scholarship team in the libraries.